Saturday, 1 January 2011

January 1st


1895

"The Chestnuts,
Guildford,
Jan. 1. '95

Yes, my dear Edith, you are quite correct in saying it is a long time since you heard from me: in fact I find that I have not written to you since the 13th of last November. But what of it? You have access to the daily papers. Surely you can find out, negatively, that I am all right? Go carefully through the list of Bankruptcies: then run your eye down the Police Cases: and if you fail to find my name anywhere, you can say to your mother, in a tone of calm satisfaction, "Mr Dodgson is going on well." I've brought with me here, as a sort of holiday-task, a bundle of 50 or more letters requiring answers - It needs great energy to begin on them...."

C.L.D.

The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson

{ The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson - pen-name Lewis Carroll - was the author of Alice in Wonderland and a great correspondent, especially with young girls. Edith ____ was one of the many children to whom Lewis Carroll wrote letters. }


1981

"1st Jan 1981 - The start of another year. Walking through Regent's Park this morning, past the barren trees, I reflected that I couldn't turn over a new leaf since there wasn't one to be seen."


Kenneth Williams
{ 1926-1988, London-born actor and camp comedian. }

No comments: