Sunday, 2 January 2011

January 2nd

1751

"2d. - I went to Hammond's, and drank - with him a bottle of beer and two drams. I invited him to the butcher's, an treated him with a mugg of beer. Master Dumbrell came in; we went to Gurrs, where I spent 1s., and I went home to bed. I was informed at Mast. Hammond's that Mast. Dumbrell, having been catched by Ditchers in his wife's chamber, was obliged to give a bond of £30 before he was permitted to leave the room. "

Walter Gale
{ Eighteenth century schoolmaster at Mayfield, Sussex, who supplemented his income by drawing and other artwork. }

1769

Selborne, Jan.2, 1769
The vast rains ceased with us much about the same time as with you, and since we have had delicate weather. Mr. Barker, who has measured the rain for more than thirty years, says, in a late letter, that more has fallen this year than in any he ever attended to; though, from July 1763 to January 1764, more fell than in any seven months of this year.


Gilbert White
(Gilbert White (18 July 1720 – 26 June 1793) - letter to Thomas Pennant. White was a pioneering naturalist and ornithologist, born in his grandfather's vicarage at Selborne in Hampshire. He is best known for his "The Natural History and Antiquities of Selborne" (1789).)

No comments: